Friday, November 05, 2010

::recipe::

I figure I need to share alot of these bad boys. Alot of people out there don't know how to eat healthy or cook in general. And I think that we need to fight obesity in our countries and start showing kids how to eat for nutrition and choose wisely when coming to decisions about food.
I try and not eat alot of fast food, but sometimes it's just plain damn convenient after a hectic day or a miserable one.
Now, this recipe, I hear alot of people enjoy. I have never tried it and quite frankly, I'm a little frightened of it.
But I guess one day I will have to try it as my boyfriend LOVES this stuff.
I just don't want to try it because it's full of *bleh* onions! I am not a huge onion fan. Beleive me. I don't know why. But I just don't like 'em.
What I am talking about here is French Onion Soup...how that tastes. I'm unsure.
Whatever...anyways...this recipe was once again taken from Canadian Living's website. You gotta check them out (no I am not getting paid to endorse them I just genuinely love them).
So here you go! Hope you enjoy. Tell me how it tastes and if I have good reason to be staying away from this recipe.
Now isn't this a weird post, posting about something I don't really like. Lol.



French Onion Soup

- by the Canadian Living Test Kitchen

This classic soup isn't hard to make, and it's a good way to use up stale bread.


Source: Google

Ingredients
2 onions (unpeeled) 1 clove garlic 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter 2 tsp (10 mL) granulated sugar1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried marjoram
1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
Pinch salt
4 cups (1 L) beef stock (side note from me: I think you can use other types of stock. I don't eat beef so I think I would choose a chicken stock. Not sure if it alters the taste though.)
1 tbsp (15 mL) balsamic or red wine vinegar
4 slices French bread
3/4 cup (175 mL) shredded Swiss cheese (side note from me: I think you can choose whatever cheese you prefer)


Preparation:
On cutting board and using small knife, cut onions in half from stem to root end. Cut thin slice off stem end. Peel off outer skin. Place cut side down; cut each half crosswise into thin slices. Peel off outer skin from garlic; chop finely.
In large heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium heat until starting to bubble. Add onions, garlic, sugar, marjoram, pepper and salt. Stir with wooden spoon until onions are coated with butter. Cover pan with lid; reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes or until onions are limp.
Pour in beef stock and balsamic vinegar; increase heat to high, and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, place oven rack on second rung from top. Preheat broiler for 5 minutes. Toast bread in toaster or under broiler until golden brown; set aside. Place 4 ovenproof soup bowls on baking sheet or pan. Ladle soup into bowls. Top with toast slices. Sprinkle cheese evenly over top.
Wearing oven mitts, place tray of bowls under broiler; broil for about 3 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and golden.


Ps. This recipe makes four servings. :)

-S*

2 comments:

  1. great blog! this recipe looks really good...i think i'll try it :) im going to follow you. i hope you can follow me back ^-^

    katslovefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks alot for the comment. :) I will definitely follow back.

    -Sandra.*

    ReplyDelete