Wednesday, November 17, 2010

::recipe::

Now we are going to go into a legit dinner recipe.
I love barley and I love soup. Not all kinds of soups...I am rather picky. For example...I h.a.t.e onions in my soup. Turns me right off.
My Mom taught me how to make homemade chicken noodle soup and it's beyond delicious. She is an amazing cook.
Same with my Dad too. :)
This soup recipe was taken from (once again) canadianliving.ca.
What made me pick this recipe is the weather here in Canada, may sound odd, yes, but our weather at the present moment (it's 3:50pm at the moment) is cloudy, windy, rainy and cold. It is, after all, winter time in Canada.
And this recipe is a perfect comforting meal on days like this.
I will be making this recipe tonight (will tweak it a bit) and will probably go along with the way my Mom makes this soup.
Anyways, hope you enjoy! Let me know what you guys think of it and if you have any idea's on substituting some of the ingredients.
Bon Appetit!


Barley Lentil Soup

This recipe makes 6 servings.
Omit the yogurt for a vegan soup - a stellar warm-up on a chilly day.

Ingredients
1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
Credit: http://www.chowtimes.com/
1 onion, chopped {not for me!}
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large carrot, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 tsp (5 mL) dried thyme
1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
4 cups (1 L) vegetable stock
1 cup (250 mL) brown lentils or green lentils
1/4 cup (50 mL) pot barley
1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped fresh parsley

Topping:
1/4 cup (50 mL) low-fat plain yogurt
1 tbsp (15 mL) minced fresh parsley


Directions
In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; fry onion, garlic, carrot, celery, thyme, sald & pepper until softened, about 5 minutes
Add stock, 2 cups (500 mL) water, lentils and barley; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until barley and lentils are tender, about 40 minutes. (Make-ahead: Let cool for 30 minutes; refrigerate, uncovered, until cold. Cover and refigerate for up to 2 days; reheat.) Stir in chopped parsley.
Topping:
Top each serving with yogurt; sprinkle with parsley.


Hope you guys enjoyed!

-S.*




No comments:

Post a Comment