Monday, November 22, 2010

::side:dish::

This next recipe {side dish} intrigues me, I haven't ever tried it, and spinach was never my favorite growing up {I don't think it was anyone's favorite} so I never bothered playing around with it in the kitchen. I started to become more interested in it though when I tried a spanakopita here at my works cafeteria.
Man oh man, was it ever good! I wasn't a feta cheese fan either and this delightful stuffed puff pastry was a hit with me from the get-go.
I had my boyfriend try it a few weekends ago and he loved it as well!
Anyways...enough about that, that's not the recipe I was going to post here. The recipe I am going to post, that sounds appealing is creamed spinach. Yes ladies and gents, you may be thinking "ewwww" but I am thinking, "hmm, it may just turn out to be delicious!", so anyways, I haven't tried this recipe out just yet...but will when I make something that needs a side dish added to it {tonight I am making stew again, yum!}.
So anyways, enough of my rambling and lets get cooking.
Bon Appetit!


Creamed Spinach

This recipe makes four servings.

Ingredients
2 tbsp (25 mL) butter
1 clove garlic, minced
Half a small onion, diced
1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
1 pkg (7 oz/198 g) fresh spinach, chopped {or you can buy frozen, but squeeze all the water out!}
1/4 tsp (1 mL) dried thyme
2 tbsp (25 mL) all-purpose flour
1 cup (250 mL) warm milk
1/4 cup (50 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
Pinch of ground nutmeg

Preparation
In large saucepan, melt 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the butter over medium-high heat; saute garlic and half each of the onion, salt and pepper for about 3 minutes or until softened.
In batches, add spinach and cook, stirring for about 5 minutes or until wilted and no liquid remains.
Transfer to bowl.
Wipe out pan; heat remaining butter over medium heat. Cook thyme and remaining onion, salt and pepper for about 3 minutes or until softened. Stir in flour; cook for 1 minute.
Reduce heat to low. Add milk, a little at a time, and cook, stirring for 3-5 minutes or until thickened.
Stir in cheese, nutmeg and spinach; heat through.


There you go! Simple! This is just a side dish so I will be adding more recipes on here later on and maybe even a drink recipe if I find out that strikes my fancy.
Let me know what you guys think! And if you have any requests or substitutes. :)
PS. From canadianliving.ca. ;)
PPS. Some people also like to add peices of bacon to this dish! Which sounds even better! ;) Who doesn't like bacon!? Except vegetarians...sorry!

-S.*

No comments:

Post a Comment