Monday, January 09, 2012

::curried:chickpeas::

Okay - again - I hate chunky warm tomatoes...I have been looking through different recipes {different cuisines} searching for the ultimate curry-type dish. Or anything Indian-esque. I found a great one by Roger Mooking on the Food Network Canada site but it calls for chunky tomatoes! NO! I went to Google {& Twitter} to find out if I can use tomato paste instead of chunky tomatoes. Of course there isn't a whole lot out there but a lot of people say that it is alright to use the paste...but how much paste? 
Or I guess I could use the tomatoes and blend it until smooth. I am not sure if I am going to get the truly authentic texture and taste of the Indian dish but I just can't chance it with chunky tomatoes {barf!}. Regardless, I am going to share the recipe with you. I think I am also going to add some chunks of delicious chicken to this dish. 
Either way, if you try it, let me know what you think and if you think tomato paste is a good substitute for chunky tomatoes in curry's. 

Bon Appetit!


Curried Chickpeas
Courtesy of Roger Mooking ~ Everyday Exotic

Ingredients
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1/2 onion, finely diced
1 carrot, finely diced
1 clove garlic, finely diced
2 tablespoons curry powder
Splash of white wine
4 plum tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 540ml can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 cup chicken stock
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon butter, cold

Directions
1. In a saute pan, heat oil over medium heat and sweat onions. 
2. Add carrots and garlic, stir. 
3. After garlic has browned slightly, add curry powder and stir. 
4. Add a splash of white wine to deglaze pan. 
5. Add tomatoes and chickpeas, stir. 
6. Add chicken stock and simmer. 
7. Cover with lid, cook for 10 minutes. 
8. Season with salt and sugar. 
9. Remove from heat, add cold butter to finish. 


Yummm...sounds delicious enough! Definitely going on my list of recipes to try soon!


-S.*

3 comments:

  1. Yummy recipe for the new year! Thanks for that. I can start to learn a new thing, like cooking :p Happy belated new year there. Hope this year would be magical for you, full of new dreams and adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Randy - never had it, so I am hoping it turns out fabulous! :)

    Fe - thanks so much and a Happy belated new year to you as well! :) I wish you only the best. :)
    Let me know how your cooking skills improve over time and share recipes! :)

    -Sandra.*

    ReplyDelete