Friday, January 13, 2012

::rustic:chicken:minestrone::

I am on quite the soup kick and I realized that I really can't be too picky when it comes to ingredients that are involved. I mean, I go to the restaurant and don't always know what ingredients are used in the entrees so I just need to get over my fear and try new things and I might just be beyond pleasantly surprised. 
So I found this new recipe in the Everyday Food magazine {January/February 2012 issue} and can be found on page 86 if interested in picking the mag up. 
So I shall shut up - especially after blabbing in the last post, and share this recipe with you guys. :) 
Bon Appetit!


Rustic Chicken Minestrone

Ingredients
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced small
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 can {15 ounces} diced tomatoes
Chicken Soup Base - 10 cups broth & 4 cups shredded chicken
3/4 cup small pasta shells
3 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch rounds
1 Parmesan rind, plus grated Parmesan {optional}
1 bunch kale {preferably Tuscan; 3/4 pound}, tough stems and ribs removed, leaves cut into 1-inch pieces {4 cups}
1 medium zucchini, diced medium
1 can {15.5 ounces} chickpeas, rinsed and drained
Coarse salt and ground pepper

Directions
In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high. 
Add onion and cook until softened, 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. 
Add tomatoes with juice and cook until liquid is evaporated, 4 minutes. 
dd broth and bring to a boil. 
Add pasta, carrots and Parmesan rind, if using, and cook 5 minutes. 
Add kale, zucchini, and chickpeas and cook until zucchini is crisp-tender, 5 minutes. 
Stir in chicken and cook until warmed through, 1 to 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and remove rind before serving. Sprinkle with Parmesan if desired. 
Serves 6

Per Serv: 415 cal; 10 g fat {3 g sat fat}; 38 g protein; 43 g carb; 8 g fiber


There you have it. Another deliciously hearty soupy meal. :) 
I have an interview for a job {!!!} early next week so wish me luck!!!


-S.*

3 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! I'd appreciate if you stopped by Tulips&Tulle soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! That looks & sounds absolutely delish.

    Good luck with the job interview!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments guys and thank you Porcelain Complexion for the well wishes! I am so nervous! I hope to get it!

    -Sandra.*

    ReplyDelete