Thursday, January 26, 2012

::superbowl:snacks::

Well, it seems like I am losing followers. Oh well...I am glad for the ones that are sticking around with me. :) 
The last little while has been a "stressy" one. I have had anxiety and am dealing with it and I just think I am having "one of those weeks". So I am taking it easy...I should be on here blogging more. It's cathartic. I should probably start journalling again too. 
My friend and I went on a grocery escapade together last night and he picked up the latest Food Network magazine for me "The Light Issue" and there are SO many great recipes in there! Especially some for the Super Bowl! Which we figured out is on the 5th of February. I am not one to participate in Super Bowl parties since I dislike football (hockey girl here through and through) but I will share some of these Super Bowl recipes with you guys so you can share them at your own parties. Wait...is it Super Bowl or Superbowl? Whatever. 
On page 112 and 113 there is a mini book in there that you can pull out called "50 Super Bowl Snacks" and these treats/apps/whatever you wanna call them are SUPER simple and ridiculously easy to make. 
I am going to share with you some of my favorites in there. :) 

SOME SUPER BOWL SNACKS!!!


Chipotle Guacamole
Mash 3 avocados with 1/4 cup minced red onion, 1 tablespoon minced chipotles in adobo sauce, the juice of 1 lime and salt to taste. 

Hot Crab Dip
Mix 3 ounces cream cheese, 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, and hot sauce and chopped parsley to taste; fold in 1/2 pound crabmeat. Spread in a baking dish, top with breadcrumbs {preferable panko} and bake at 425 degrees until golden, about 15 minutes.


Bacon Jalapeno Dip
Mix 8 ounces cream cheese, 2 cups shredded cheddar, 1/2 cup sour cream, 1/4 cup milk, 4 slices chopped cooked bacon, 1 tablespoon bacon drippings, 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar and 2 thinly sliced jalapenos. Spread in a baking dish; top with buttered breadcrumbs {preferably panko}. Bake at 350 degrees until golden and bubbly, 30 minutes.

Beer-Bacon Nuts
Boil 1/3 cup beer, 1 cup brown sugar, 6 slices chopped bacon, 1 tablespoon salt and 1 pinch cayenne until the beer evaporates, 8 minutes. Mix in 1-1/2 cups corn nuts and 1 cup each almonds and peanuts. Bake at 350 degrees, 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. 

Spicy Chickpea Mix
Drain and rinse 1 can chickpeas; toss in olive oil and bake at 350 degrees, 20 minutes. Mix with 1 tablespoon chili paste, 2 cups pita chips, 1 cup sesame sticks and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Bake 10 minutes, stirring. 


Buffalo Chicken Sliders
Warm 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken with 1/4 cup each sour cream and hot sauce. Serve on 12 mini buns with celery and blue cheese. 

Beef Sliders
Form 1 pound ground beef into 12 patties, 3/4 inch thick. Sprinkle a skillet with kosher salt; cook the patties over high heat, 4 minutes per side. Put on mini buns. 

Shrimp Sliders
Combine 2 tablespoons each mayonnaise and whole-grain mustard, 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, and minced parsley and hot sauce to taste. Season 1 pound butterflied shrimp with salt and cayenne. Dip in buttermilk, coat in cornmeal and fry in hot oil. Serve on mini seeded buns with lettuce, pickles and the mustard sauce. 

Mini Veggie Pockets
Warm 12 mini pitas. Cut off the tops and fill with hummus, crumbled feta and chopped olives, cucumber, lettuce and tomato. 


There you have it! The possibilities are endless and don't forget that there are FIFTY in total so you have a lot to choose from. These are only some of the ones that caught my eye. :) 
If you give any of these a try that please be sure to keep me posted! :)


-S.*

2 comments:

  1. I'm not one for football either, but I do go to the parties for all the ridiculous food! So bad but I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahah, I hear ya! That is actually a good idea! Then we don't have to make dinner! ;)

    -Sandra.*

    ReplyDelete