Monday, January 09, 2012

::well:that:sucks::

Ugh. 
There are a bunch of books that I sincerely want to get so that I can read them with the free time that I have but just can't because I just don't have the dough for it. 
And there are so many out there! A cookbook here, a self-help book there...
Oh well. I guess they shall have to wait. 
Tonight is a quiet night that involved some red wine, the new Prevention issue, journalling and PS3 (the boyfriend is doing the PS3 thing -- it's really funny how guys get so into it...). 
I also looked up recipes for crepe's...rather different dinner idea's that involve crepes. My Mom gave me her Mom's recipe on how to make the actual crepes so I am thinking of doing something "crepe-y" tomorrow for dinner. Have a hankering for a gravy-isk mushroom sauce. Yummmm. 
I also want my shrimp Thai soup...I seriously can't get enough of that soup, it's so amazing. I posted the recipe a little while ago and you could probably google search for it...so delicious.
In the new Prevention issue (with Alison Sweeney on the cover - February 2012) there is a recipe on page 128 for a delicious looking pasta...when I read the ingredients I was a little irked - um...sardines?? - and I might sub them for something else...or omit it totally...what can I sub sardines for?? Anyways...the picture looks freakin delicious and I am going to share it with you anyways...I also have some pork recipes to share that I found in the Rachel Ray book! I never do anything other than seafood and chicken so be excited! Lol. 
That I will post sometime tomorrow. I am not sure if I can find the corresponding pic to the recipe but I will try my best. ;)
Anyways, recipe time! Long overdue!
Hope everyone is having a lovely Monday - mine sucked ass but the night is going a lot better. I am getting sleepy and am looking forward to a nightcap-red and a good night's sleep. :) 

Bon Appetit!


Sicilian-Style Pasta
Prep Time: 10 minutes  :  Total Time: 30 minutes  :  Servings: 6

Ingredients
3/4 lb whole wheat fettuccine
3 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp capers, rinsed and drained
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 cans {3.75-4.375 oz each} sardines {preferably wild caught}, packed in olive oil, drained well
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup fresh whole wheat bread crumbs, toasted

Directions
1. Prepare pasta per package directions. Reserve 1/2 cup of cooking water and drain pasta well. 
2. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat while pasta cooks. Add capers and cook, stirring, until slightly crispy, about 2 minutes. Add onion and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Add sardines, breaking apart with back of spoon, and cook about 2 minutes. Add wine and lemon juice and simmer, stirring, until reduce by half, about 3 minutes. 
3. Add cooked pasta ad reserved cooking water to skillet, tossing with sardine mixture, parsley, and freshly ground black pepper until well combined and heated through. {Makes about 6 cups.} Divide among 5 bowls and top with bread crumbs.

NUTRITION {per serving}: 360 cal, 17 g pro, 48 g carb, 8 g fibre, 11 g fat, 1.5 g sat fat, 314 mg sodium.

Lil Health Tip
About Sardines...
These small fish pack vitamin B12, which *may help regulate artery-damaging homocysteine. 


There you have it. Another recipe! I am not sure what I would sub the sardines with, maybe salmon? And how do you toast the bread crumbs? In butter or on it's own? Questions, questions. But that is the fun thing about cooking, you can do as you please with the recipe! :) I also don't get (just want to point this out) when magazines always say so-and-so *"may help" with whatever....it either helps or it doesn't. Just a mini rant...nothing really extreme. I would eat stuff for my health anyways...obvy.
Let me know what you guys would sub sardines with, add to the dish or how it turned out!


-S.*

{Source: Image from Prevention website}

No comments:

Post a Comment