Friday, February 24, 2012

::asian:noodle:soup::

Laziness - what a thing, eh? 
Sometimes I just feel like doing absolutely nothing and other days I am up and at 'em. It is especially motivating to see the boyfriend rip out of bed at 8 in the morning and ready to start the day. To be honest though, Winter-time isn't one of the greatest times...you can barely go outside and do things and I still haven't purchased a decent Winter jacket...that and it is always only cold and there is essentially no snow on the ground, we couldn't even go ice skating this year across the street at the school which we live nearby. 
So it's easier for me to hide under the blankets than to wear thirty sweaters and try to keep warm in my little basement apartment which is cold all year round. 
But enough of my whining about cold temperatures.

There is a definite lack in recipe posting on there lately and I need to step my game up. I got lovely cookbooks as I mentioned to you guys and I need to share! The one book that I got - Everyday Food Light has hundreds upon hundreds of great recipes in there that are ALL under 500 calories {unless you eat all the servings}...
So I just closed my eyes and opened up a page and I am going to share that recipe with ya. I am partial to seafood fare and such and this will "broaden" my recipe collection on here - I hope. Lol. 
So enough rambling and let's get on with it...if you have the book you can find this recipe on page 128/129.

Bon Appetit!


Asian Noodle Soup with Chicken and Snow Peas
Serves 4 :: Prep Time: 10 minutes :: Total Time: 35 minutes

Ingredients
Coarse salt and ground pepper
8 ounces, flat, wide rice noodles
2 cans {14.5 ounces each} low-sodium chicken broth
1 piece fresh lemongrass {3 inches}, smashed, or 3 sticks dried lemongrass
1 piece {1 inch} fresh ginger, peeled and cut into matchsticks
3 cups water
2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves {6 to 8 ounces each}, thinly sliced crosswise
8 ounces snow peas, trimmed and halved
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
Asian chili sauce, such as Sriracha, for serving {optional}

Directions
1. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook noodles, until tender according to package instructions. Drain noodles.

2. In a saucepan, combine broth, lemongrass, ginger, and the water. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until fragrant, 10 minutes. 

3. Strain broth mixture through a fine sieve, discarding solids, and return to saucepan. Add chicken and snow peas and simmer until chicken is cooked through and snow peas are crisp-tender, 2 to 4 minutes. 

4. Remove soup from heat and stir in lime juice. Season with salt and pepper. Divide noodles among bowls, and pour soup over noodles. Serve with mint, lime wedges, and, if desired, chili sauce. 

PER SERVING: 355 calories; 1.8 g fat {0.7 g saturated fat}; 27.5 g protein; 55.3 g carbohydrates; 2 g fibre

Good to Know 
To release the citrusy flavour of lemongrass, pound the stalks with a meat mallet or the bottom of a heavy pot. If you can't find fresh lemongrass, look for dried in the spice aisle of your grocery store, or at Asian food markets. 


-S.*

No comments:

Post a Comment