Wednesday, February 29, 2012

::eggs:mushrooms:cheese::

I wrote this entire thing about writing being cathartic last week...I will post that up sometime soon...for now I will post more recipes. I found another great recipe for breakfast & it is definitely a good one for vegetarians. 
I am definitely not a breakfast person & to be honest, the boyfriend wasn't the most fond of it either until we started hitting the gym. 
But he is a huge fan of eggs and in the beginning I was so terrible at making them. I know that the yolk can be quite runny as long as the white is firm but he thinks half the time that I am trying to give him food poisoning. People, if you cook an egg sunny side up, all you have to do is make sure the white is firm and you're good to go. At least, that is what I have read in the past on my Google searches. 
Anyways, I found this recipe and the picture looks so delicious. 
It's funny how I cannot eat but everything looks so yummy to me.
Anyways...here is another recipe from Dahl's book on page 18.

Bon Appetit. 


Poached Eggs on Portobello Mushrooms with Goat's Cheese
I make this when I'm a bit breaded out, but hungry. Portobello mushrooms have a satisfying meatiness about them that sates without the heaviness of a full English breakfast. 

Serves 2.

Ingredients
2 generously sized portobello mushrooms
Salt and pepper
Olive oil
2 thick rounds of soft goat's cheese
2 eggs
1 teaspoon of white vinegar {for poaching}
1 sprig of fresh tarragon, chopped

Preheat the broiler. Wash the mushrooms and remove the stems, season with salt and pepper and give them a glug of olive oil; a spoonful should do. Crumble the goat's cheese. 

Pop the mushrooms stem side up under the broiler for about 5 minutes. While they are searing away, poach the eggs in a pan of gently boiling water {a teaspoon of white vinegar should stop them from separating}. 

You can do one of two things with the goat's cheese; you can add it on top of the mushrooms when you put them under the broiler, so it browns; or you can put it on just after they come out. 

You should poach the eggs for about 3 minutes if you want them soft in the middle {5 if you want them stern and unyielding}. Drain them, put them on top of your crumbly goat's cheese/mushroom mix, scatter some chopped tarragon on the top, grind on a bit of pepper and voila!


-S.*

No comments:

Post a Comment