Monday, June 04, 2012

::back:to:basics:: - ::chicken:cutlets::

I changed my font - yea that's right...to Verdana. We will see how long this lasts. It's something different to look at anyways. Lol. 

SO YEA!
I decided that I am going to add to the blog...particularly the recipe portion which I will call Back to Basics.
The idea came to me when my Sister introduced me to the book by Mark Bittman called "How to Cook Everything - The Basics".
Really - honestly - it is has super basic recipes and teaches you HOW to COOK. Like I have said in the past...I can cook a mean risotto - but I can't cook an egg sunny side up. Odd, I realize. 
Anywho...I am going to start today! 
The posts will be anywhere from how to cook pancakes, make a hummus to grilling a steak! Today we are going to focus on chicken. 
So away we go. :))

Bon Appetit!


BACK TO BASICS
Roasted Chicken Cutlets


Crisp bread crumbs on top, tender and juicy inside - without stovetop cooking.

Time: 30 to 40 minutes
Makes: 4 servings

Ingredients
2 tablespoons butter, melted, plus butter for greasing the pan
1-1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, tenders, or thighs
1 cup bread crumbs, preferably fresh
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 egg
2 lemons, quartered, for serving

Directions
1. Heat the oven to 400F and grease a rimmed baking sheet with a little butter. If necessary, spread the chicken between 2 pieces of plastic wrap and pond each to uniform thickness; blog them dry with a paper towel. 

2. Combine the bread crumbs, melted butter, and parsley in a shallow bowl and sprinkle with salt and pepper; toss until mixed. Lightly beat the egg in another shallow bowl. 

3. Dip the smooth side of each chicken breast first in egg and then in the bread crumb mixture, pressing down to make sure the bread crumbs stick. Put each breast, crumb side up, on the baking sheet. If there's any leftover topping, sprinkle it on top of the breasts and press down again so it sticks. 

4. Put the chicken in the oven and roast until the cutlets are firm to the touch with little or no pink inside, 15 to 25 minutes, depending on thickness. To check for doneness, cut into a piece with a thin-bladed knife and take a peek. To serve, transfer the cutlets to plates and serve with lemon.


Simple!
That's the point. ;)


-S.*

{Source: Image from Google Images}

No comments:

Post a Comment