Saturday, June 02, 2012

::orzo:with:smoky:tomato:vinaigrette::

Loooove Giada and loooove her cookbooks. I still have about 3 that I still need to get my hands on. The most recent one {from Keverino} has sooo many amazing recipes in there. It's the newest cookbook by her called "Weeknights with Giada". 
Anyways...I decided to post another yummy recipe that I plan on trying sometime this coming week. 

Bon Appetit!


Orzo with Smoky Tomato Vinaigrette
"I've been on a "smoky" kick lately, exploring ways to integrate this distinct flavor into new recipes, such as by using smoked paprika or by charring on the grill. In this case, I char the cherry tomatoes in a skillet and add some smoked salt, which you can find in a well-stocked grocery store, to make the smoky dressing for the orzo. Tart cider vinegar and naturally sweet honey temper the smokiness and help round out the sauce, I like this as is -- as a terrific vegetarian main course -- but Todd loves it when I add some ground beef to the mix."
Serves 4 to 6



Ingredients
1 pound {2 pints} cherry tomatoes
Kosher salt
1 pound orzo pasta
1/2 cup packed fresh basil leaves, torn

2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon honey
Smoked salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions
Place the tomatoes in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, shaking the pan occasionally, until the tomatoes are tender and the skins are charred in spots, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool. 

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large serving bowl. 

Combine the tomatoes, basil, vinegar, olive oil, honey, 1 tablespoon smoked salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a blender. Blend until smooth. 

Pour the tomato vinaigrette over the pasta and toss until coated. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese. Season to taste with smoked salt and pepper, and serve. 


This sounds amaaaazing and now I need to go out and find a blender!
I think that I would add ground pork or ground turkey to this for sure. 
If you guys have tried this or try it before I do then let me know how it turns out and if you added anything else to it! Mushrooms maybe? 
Yum!


-S.*

{Source: Images from Google Images}

No comments:

Post a Comment