Thursday, September 06, 2012

::the:bookies::


I feel like I haven’t posted in forever….well, that is because I haven’t. I have been so busy…this new job is so kick ass and I can’t stop talking about it and loving it. So…there ya go. I love it. Lol.
Anyways – I have not shared books with you guys in a while and I am in a bit of a book withdrawl considering I haven’t had time to read, but now that my schedule is back on track I need to find more books to read even though I got a fantabulistic one from my best buddy Keverino about Photoshop CS6 – since I want to teach myself how to have a better handle on Photoshop and graphic design in general. So once I am done reading that book then I will share with you guys my thoughts on it. But so far, so good. It is very informative…the book is nicely done in itself and has lovely full colour image throughout.
So, a lot of new things come out in September…there are huge fashion magazines that come out…new styles of clothes that will be in for the cooler seasons…and of course new books…cookbooks are pretty big on their release dates during new seasons and Fall is no exception…so even though there are books that have nothing to do with food on here don’t think for one minute that my book list wouldn’t have some culinary bookies in there!


Jamie’s Food Revolution: Rediscover How To Cook Simple, Delicious, Affordable Meals by Jamie Oliver - $15.67 CA
I used to enjoy watching Jamie Oliver’s show…when I first started watching the Food Network Jamie had one called “The Naked Chef” and it was pretty good…now since he is uber famous I can’t even count on one hand how many shows he has, not only in Canada but in the UK and US. Anyways – I do enjoy some of his rustic type shows…but I have never really been a fan of his cookbooks because usually he has the most random recipes in there and half the ingredients aren’t even readily available to me. That is until I saw this book at the book store. Omg. It is JAM-PACKED with easy recipes, simple ingredients…huge full colour photographs…it’s definitely a keeper. As soon as I looked through this book I knew that I must have it.

Fast Flavours: 110 Simple, Speedy Recipes by Chef Michael Smith - $20.06 CA
Michael Smith has been in my top 5 favourite chefs since as early as I can remember. The Inn Chef was MY show when I first started dabbling with cooking and the Food Network. I would literally wake up at 5:30am during school days to watch his show before I had to leave for class. I love his cookbooks and he has fantastic recipes with the simplest of ingredients. As he says on his show that some of the best recipes stem from cooking without a recipe. He comes up with some of the greatest flavours and I have been waiting for this book to come out – which was recently released on the 4th of September.

Ten Dollar Dinners: 140 Recipes & Tips to Elevate Simple, Fresh Meals Any Night of the Week by Melissa d’Arabian - $18.17 CA
I watched Melissa d’Arabian on The Next Food Network Star and she was one of the chefs that I was rooting for. I believe she doesn’t have any experience or culinary background short of just cooking delicious meals for her family. What I like about watching her shows is the simplicity in her meals and recipes and how they turn out to be just as delicious as gourmet, on a budget and very quick and easy to make. Definitely a cookbook that I need on my shelf now that I am back in the working world. :)

How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie - $12.64 CA
I have been told time and time again by many people, that this is one of thee books to read. So…I will take their word for it. And give it a shot. ;)

The Night Before Christmas by Clement Moore & Illustrated by Mary Engelbreit - $9.89 CA
I first saw this book quite a few years ago when I went to the library with my Mom – it was at least once a week…I picked it up as it was nearing Christmas and totally fell in love with their gold trim pages, the gorgeous hardcover and the even more amazing illustrations by Mary Engelbreit. It is definitely a book that should be bought and carried down through generations…sit around the fire with hot cocoa, some Christmas music and this little book. So excited for Christmas this year. :)

Debt Free Forever: Take Control Of Your Money And Your Life by Gail Vaz-Oxlade - $15.87 CA
I initially was going to purchase this book when I was broke as a joke…how disappointed would Gail be? Or maybe not. Lol. Because she gets the money – but anyways! I am looking for ways to have a little extra cash in my pocket while still being able to get the most in-season stylish boots and put money away to save for a house. I perused this book in the bookstore as well and there was a lot of information in there that I guarantee can help me or anyone that needs a little bit of financial advise.

Night Shift by Stephen King - $9.99 CA
Another book I saw at the bookstore…this book is a series of mini stories…some of which became their own novels…from what I have read it seems creepy…and spooky. The way my Mom and I like ‘em! So I am eager to read this one by Mr. King. Master story-teller that he is.

An Everlasting Meal: Cooking with Economy and Grace by Tamar Adler - $12.27 CA
Ever since I read Gail Simmons' book --- I have been trying to find something comparable but haven’t had much luck. This book has some pretty good reviews and looks interesting enough to give it a go.
This book is about cooking and eating – and about feeding ourselves well. Something that I totally need to get a handle on – steer clear of the fried chicken if you know what I mean. ;) The book is also filled with essays and just basically how to cook and how to love cooking. It reminds me of a love story – about food.

The Liar, The Bitch and the Wardrobe by Allie Kingsley - $11.55 CA
I just saw this book before I began writing this post. It’s about fashion, being rich and famous and the like. A perfect guilty pleasure book to read with a glass of wine, some chocolate and a huge warm blanket when Real Housewives of Vancouver isn’t on rerun. ;)
-- Taken from the Amazon Site. --
"If you’re going to step on people on your way to the top, you might as well do it in stilettos . . .
. . . Or so she’s been told. Lucy Butler, former wallflower, lands her dream job working for her idol, world-famous fashion photographer Stefano Lepres. But in a world where getting doused in coffee for not getting the order right is the new normal, she isn’t getting any closer to her ideal of being behind the camera herself.
Then a superstar actress generously takes Lucy under her wing and teaches her the ways of the rich and famous—treating her to racks of designer clothes and introducing her to a life of private planes and penthouse suites. Soon Lucy is dating a rock star, attending the hottest Hollywood parties, and dressing the part.
Lost in the luxury, she loses sight of the things that once mattered most. It’s going to take a hard blow from the high life to send Lucy back to the real life she always wanted.
From an industry insider—and featuring wardrobes personally selected by celebrity stylist Robert Verdi—this is a novel that will keep you guessing and introduce you to a world you know exists; you’ve just never seen it unretouched."

Kate: The Kate Moss Book by Kate Moss - $56.43 CA
Okay – this book doesn’t come out until November but can I just say O – M – G ?!! I have been waiting FOREVER and I do mean FOREVERRRRRR on a book about Kate Moss that she herself has written…I am not too sure if this is going to just be a coffee table book or have some of her own biography peppered throughout but WHO CARES…IT IS KATE MOSS!!!! There are 8 covers to this book…so when you order – or rather pre-order because this baby is going to be totally sold out within minutes if it hasn’t already – you don’t get to choose your cover…so there is an element of surprise there for you. I don’t care what cover I get (okay, maybe I do a little bit) but seriously…whatever. It is Kate freakin Moss
Ugh…I seriously cannot wait.

This post seems seriously scatterbrained...sorry about that, I tried to post this about 3 times...and finally...it is working. That is until I hit publish again and something happens but lets be optimistic here! 
Stay tuned for more editorials as well coming up. 


-S.*

{Source: Images Taken From Google Images}

No comments:

Post a Comment