Wednesday, October 03, 2012

::turkey:main::

So, Thanksgiving is one of my favourite Holidays...I just wish that I could spend it with my family. My Mom made some of the best Turkey dinners with my Pops. So delicious. And when I was in California last March she made turkey a couple of times and it the smell just reminded me of family turkey day get togethers. They were so much fun. The unfortunate part is that a lot of magazines and sites are American and there isn't a lot going on in the way of Thanksgiving recipes right now. But there is Food Network Canada - thank goodness...so I have found some great recipes through there to try out this Thanksgiving long weekend. But you could probably find recipes on the Kraft Canada website as well as Canadian Living and such. I have only ever made turkey once...and I think I will tackle it again - or maybe just a small chicken or something...nah, can't be chicken...has to be turkey. Ahh...as I sit here looking through recipes my tummy has begun to grumble around in there. I am so excited for food! Although I gotta keep it to a minimum. I am still training after all. :)
 
 
Brined Sage Turkey with Mushroom Stuffing
 
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 4 hr 30 minutes
Makes: 22 servings {184 g}
 
What You Need
1/2 cup butter, divided
1 lb. {450 g} fresh mushrooms, sliced
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
3 cups hot water
3 pkg. {120 g each} Stove Top Stuffing Mix for Chicken
1/2 cup fresh sage, divided
1 Brined Turkey {14lb./6.3 kg}
1/4 cup Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing
 
Make It
HEAT oven to 325ºF.
MELT 2 Tbsp. butter in medium skillet on medium heat. Add vegetables; cook and stir 10 min. or until onions and celery are crisp tender.
ADD hot water and remaining butter to stuffing mixes in large bowl; stir just until moistened. Chop 1/4 cup sage. Add to stuffing with vegetables; mix lightly.
FREE turkey legs from tucked position. (Do not cut band of skin.) Using rubber spatula or hand, loosen skin over breast, starting at body cavity opening by legs. Place remaining sage leaves on meat under skin. Spoon stuffing into neck and body cavities, being careful to not pack stuffing into turkey too tightly. Return legs to tucked position; turn wings back to hold neck skin in place. Place turkey, breast-side up, on rack in roasting pan. Brush with dressing. Cover loosely with foil to prevent over-browning.
BAKE turkey 3 hours 45 minutes to 4 hours or until done {170ºF}, uncovering after 3 hours. Let stand 15 to 20 minutes before carving.
 
Kraft Kitchen Tips
How To Check Meat and Poultry Doneness
The easiest way to ensure that cooked meat or poultry is done is to check the internal temperature. Using an accurate food thermometer will take away the guesswork. Simply insert the thermometer into the thickets part of the meat or poultry, avoidng any bones if present. For whole poultry, insert the thermometer into the thickest part of one of the thighs, again taking care to avoid any bones.
 
 
I obviously didn't read the recipes as I though it was one on how to properly make a turkey ~ I knew this one was short...lol. Anyways, it sounds delicious regardless and I am a huge fan of mushrooms so would probably loooove this type of stuffing {I am not a big stuffing person}. Anyways! Enjoy this stuffing recipe! :)
 
 
-S.*
{Source: Kraft Canada Site}


No comments:

Post a Comment