Friday, May 17, 2013

::buffalo:chicken::

In The Kitchen...


I am a hot sauce fiend. 
I'm not even joking. 
I don't particularly think that it is healthy, the amount of hot sauce I am able to consume in one sitting. Quite frankly, I can get to the point where tears are streaming down my face and my nose is running and I don't even mind ~ other then the fact that I look like I had been bawling my eyes out for hours on end. 
Hot wings have to be extra hot, chicken sandwiches have to be zestful, Ceasar's have to be extra-spicy...it really is endless. I put Frank's Extra Hot Sauce on pretty much everything...quiche, bagels, eggs, pizza, veggies, fish, rice, salads...yea, I do admit I do slightly go overboard at times. 
I eat pepperoncini peppers out of the jar in the mornings, I will drink the juice, I love vinegar. I have a thing with acidic tastes that are likely to blow all your taste buds out of the water. 

A lot of people comment "Well, you can't taste anything with the amount of hot sauce you have on there" and quite frankly, yes I can. My palate is so used to spicy that when I douse my slice of pizza with hot sauce, I can still taste everything and not think the slice is that hot. 
When I can come across recipes that include anything remotely spicy, I am all for it. I have even "refined" my boyfriends tastebuds the past few years, as in the beginning of our relationship he would perpetually complain that my spaghetti sauce was "too gawddamn spicy" and sometimes he would even shove it off to the side and refuse to eat it. That's okay, I enjoyed it. :P 
But nowadays, he is so used to it, he doesn't even notice the tablespoon of chile's I put in the sauce. 
Therefore, I will try more recipes that are spicy - such as Indian and whatnot. But first, I saw this recipe on the Skinny Taste site and I knew I had to try this immediately ~ and it obviously involves a crockpot. ;)

Bon Appetit!


Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Servings: 6 • Size: 1/2 cup chicken + veggies • Old Points: 3 pts • Points+: 3 pt
Calories: 147.7 • Fat: 0.1 g • Carb: 5.2 g • Fiber: 1.6 g • Protein: 24.9 g • Sugar: 1.7 g • Sodium: 879 mg 

Ingredients
For the chicken:
24 oz boneless skinless chicken breast

1 celery stalk
1/2 onion, diced
1 clove garlic

16 oz fat free low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup hot cayenne pepper sauce {Frank's}
For the wraps:
6 large lettuce leaves, Bibb or Iceberg
1-1/2 cups shredded carrots
2 large celery stalks, cut into 2-inch matchsticks

Directions
In a crock pot, combine chicken, onions, celery stalk, garlic and broth {enough to cover your chicken, use water if the can of broth isn't enough}. Cover and cook on high 4 hours.

Remove the chicken from pot, reserve 1/2 cup broth and discard the rest. Shred the chicken with two forks, return to the slow cooker with the 1/2 cup broth and the hot sauce and set on high for an additional 30 minutes. Makes 3 cups chicken. 


To prepare lettuce cups, place 1/2 cup buffalo chicken in each leaf, top with 1/4 cup shredded carrots, celery and dressing of your choice. Wrap up and start eating!


How simple is that? And totally low in calories!
Yum yum!!


-S.*

No comments:

Post a Comment