Wednesday, July 10, 2013

::tilapia:corn:chowder::

In The Kitchen...

I have always been curious about chowder...but when I tried it once in Monterrey {Cali}, I wasn't very convinced.
But maybe the certain flavours didn't jive with me during that time...I am still willing to give it another shot and am thinking of having a go at making it myself. 
I found this recipe on the Eating Well site - now when it comes to chowder, I don't want any weird mussels or squid or whatever in there. I am cool with just fish and/or shrimps so this recipe spoke to me. ;) 
On top of that, chowder can be really fatty so this is a lighter version.
So let's give this recipe a shot and give me any tips on chowder and if you yourself enjoy it. I know that in places like California {or anywhere on the Coast} chowder would be the best and the freshest. So will have to make sure I get as fresh as I can with my ingredients.

Bon Appetit!


Tilapia Corn Chowder
This light soup is a great way to slip fresh corn {and tilapia, of course!} into your late-summer menu. Make it a meal: Enjoy with a mixed green salad and oyster crackers.
Serves: 6 {about 1-1/4 cups each} // Total Time: 45 minutes

Ingredients
2 ounces bacon {about 2 slices}
1 teaspoon canola oil
1 stalk celery, diced
1 leek, white part only, halved lengthwise, rinsed and thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
8 ounces Yukon Gold potatoes, diced
2 cups fresh corn kernals, {about 4 ears}
1-1/2 pounds tilapia fillets, cut into bite-size pieces
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
1 cup half-and-half
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, {optional}

Preparation
1. Chop bacon and cook in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain on paper towels. 

2. Add oil to the pan. Add celery, leek, salt and pepper and cook until the vegetables just begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Add broth, potatoes and corn. Bring to a gentle simmer. Cook until the potatoes are just tender and the corn is cooked through, about 8 minutes. Stir in tilapia and thyme; return to a gentle simmer. Cook until the tilapia is cooked through, about 4 minutes more. Remove from the heat. 

3. Stir in half-and-half, lemon juice and the reserved bacon. Garnish with chives, if using. 


There ya go! How simple is that! It really sounds delicious and I am loving leeks lately. 
This recipe also only has 288 calories per serving! That is a definite bonus in my books. ;) 
Will definitely be trying this recipe soon. 
I might sub the tilapia with a haddock or cod...I am not a huge fan of it because it really does smell fishy. Then again, I can do what my Mom always did and let the fish soak in milk for a bit to take some of the 'fishiness' out. 
Either way, I am looking forward to trying this out. 
I am trying to lose a bit of weight and I think soups are a great go-to diet food and I love soup in general...I will even make it in the middle of a piping hot Summer! 


-S.*

No comments:

Post a Comment