Friday, August 09, 2013

::tex:mex:chicken::

In The Kitchen...

Many people are beginning to think that Summer has already come to it's end here in Ontario, which would mean that we have had a very short hot season. Or maybe it just flew by and I hadn't realized it. I hadn't really been able to enjoy it to be quite honest. 
Between packing, moving, unpacking and a slew of other things, money being tight amongst other things, we haven't really been able to relax on the beach, go camping, enjoy campfires, sit outside, watch storms or any of the many things that we used to do. 
It's rather unfortunate, because I do enjoy Summer. 
That's not to say that I am not eager and quite excited for my favourite season; Autumn. 
I love everything about it. I love how the leaves begin to change brilliant colours, the crisp cool air, the smells, how the chunky knit sweaters come out and the fabulous boots and scarves do as well. How the greatest candles and scents are released from Bath & Bodyworks. Thanksgiving and Hallowe'en are around the corner and all the seasonal delicious vegetables are out. I just love it all! 
So Fall is in the air here...who knows, maybe we might get another heat wave...but September is slowly approaching and that is inevitable, and I am quite thrilled about that. 

So with that being said...when it comes to cooler, crisp weather...I love to start bringing out my soups and heartier dish recipes out and am on the lookout to try something new as well this Autumn season. 
I found this recipe on the Martha Stewart site {surprise surprise!} and according to reviews, this is a huuuge hit. 
So will definitely be trying this recipe either this weekend or when it's around +18C, Practical Magic on in the background, leaves scattered around on the balcony and I need to take my chunky wool sweater out. :) 

Bon Appetit!

Slow-Cooked Tex-Mex Chicken & Beans
For this memorable fix-and-forget chicken stew, use a high-quality salsa to save time without skimping on flavour; choose a jar with a short ingredient list. 
Everyday Food; November Winter 2007
Prep: 15 min // Total Time: 8 hours 15 mins // Servings: 4

Ingredients
1 cup dried pinto beans, rinsed
1 jar {11 ounces} mild or medium salsa {1-1/2 cups}
2 tablespoons chopped or canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1-1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs {about 8}
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 medium red onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper {ribs and seeds removed}, chopped
1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream, for serving
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, for serving

Directions
STEP 1 - In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, stir together beans, salsa, chiles, flour, and 1 cup water. Season chicken with salt and pepper; arrange on top of bean mixture. Scatter onion and bell pepper on top of chicken. 

STEP 2 - Cover and cook on low heat for 8 hours. {Do not open lid or stir.}

STEP 3 - Remove chicken from stew; shred into large pieces and return to stew. Serve topped with sour cream and cilantro. 


Love slow cooker recipes because they are so damn simple and you throw everything into one pot and you're done!!
Now I did read some of the reviews and this is what I have come up with.
First, a lot of people used canned beans because they dried ones took a lot longer to cook then the recommended 8 hours in the recipe...so I think I am going to use the canned stuff as well as add a little bit more then one can to make it slightly heartier. 
Also some people added a bit more veggies to the mix. 
Another tip was that if you don't like it too spicy then lay back on the chipotle peppers a tad. 
And I also wonder if you can use an 8-quart slow cooker, which I have...I hope so...maybe I can up the amount of ingredients to make up for it? But I am sure at the end of the day it should be fine. 
OH! And lots of people serve this with rice or on tortilla's! :) 
A yummy and healthy dish!


-S.*

No comments:

Post a Comment