Friday, January 03, 2014

::mushroom:&:leek:flatbread::

Loving Candice Kumai!

I am feeling a little more inspired lately. I think this Christmas break was good for me and it was nice to laze about and just BE. With the puplets and with Travis…and to read and listen to motivating music, take enlivening pictures and surround myself with refreshing people. I am sad to see Christmas come and go so quickly but am really looking forward to 2014. 
2013 definitely had its trials and tribulations ~ as well as it's blessings in disguise but it's made me a stronger person for it and I've learned many things about myself and about other people. 
One thing I definitely want to do for *myself* {because this year is going to be about ME} is try new healthy foods. 
I am going to try many recipes from all of my cookbooks and I am not going to shy away from them!! No matter if I screw it up or not! One recipe for sure I am going to try is a quinoa chili recipe that I saw on Shape Magazines website that Candice Kumai shared but that's not the recipe that I wanted to post. The recipe that I am going to post is from her cookbook "Cook Yourself Sexy" that can be found on Amazon here
It can be found on page 130 if you already have it. So let's get cooking! I am definitely trying this recipe out and will share pics when I do! :) 

Bon Appetit!


Grilled Mushroom and Leek Flatbread Pizza

If you’re pizza obsessed like I am, you’ll devour this recipe. With a crisp crust and intensely robust mushrooms, onions and leeks, it’s pretty much perfection. I serve this paired with a Pinot Grigio and my Caramelized French Onion Soup {page 79} or cut into small bites as an app. 

Don't tell me that don't
look deeeelish.
Makes 6 sevings.

Ingredients
2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 small yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 cups cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced, preferably on a mandoline
1 leek, halved, rinsed, and finely chopped
2-1/2 teaspoons sea salt, divided 
All-purpose flour for rolling dough
1 pound store-bought pizza dough
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup basil leaves

Directions
1. In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, reduce the heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally. 


2. Add the balsamic vinegar once the onion has picked up some color. Continue to cook the onion until fully caramelized, approximately 20 minutes. (If the onion slices start to stick to the pan, splash the pan with a bit of water and stir and scrape up any browned bits.)

3.Increase the heat to medium. Stir in the mushrooms and cook until they just begin to soften and lose their moisture, 2 to 4 minutes. Add the leek and 2 teaspoons of the salt and cook for an additional minute. Set aside. 

4.Heat a charcoal or gas grill or a grill pan to medium-high heat. Sprinkle your work surface with flour and roll the dough into a 1/2-inch-thick circle. Brush the grill pan (or grill grates) with 1 teaspoon of the oil and gently lay the dough on the grates. Grill until the underside of the crust is golden, 1 to 2 minutes, and then use a spatula to flip the dough over. 


5. Brush the remaining 1 teaspoon oil over the top of the dough and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon sea salt. Grill until the underside is golden, another 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer the grilled pizza round to a cutting board. 

6. Top the pizza base with the mushroom and leek mixture. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese and finish with a few leaves of basil before slicing and serving. 

Maybe finish the night with an
extra spicy Caesar? ;)






PER SERVING: 369 calories, 8 g fat {1 g saturated}, 10 g protein, 3 g fiber, 5 g sugars, 829 mg sodium, 65 g carbohydrates. 

BENEFIT THAT BOD: Try cutting your oil and cheese amounts in half, boost the flavor by adding roasted garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, more carmelized onions, or fresh herbs. 










-S.*

{Photo's - Me from the book.}

No comments:

Post a Comment