Monday, July 21, 2014

::my:slacker:smoothie::


Happy MONday!

I am, for serious, not a Monday person...I TRY and TRY to be, but it just doesn't work out for me. I like my Monday's low-key...and just want to get through the day {lol} but today is going to be far from low-key. I just want to get through this day and then go home to my comfy bed. :) 
I desperately need to catch up on some sleep...between work, school, play, bills, cleaning, cooking, d0g-walking, paying bills, homework, exams, me-time, etc etc things can get a bit overwhelming! Oftentimes I get home and am *dead*...honestly have no energy to do anything but I just cannot crash on the couch since there is so much to do...especially with three months of school left {gah!}. 
It doesn't leave me with much time to cook - especially when I get home super late so oftentimes I whip up a smoothie and have some fats with it - things like nuts/seeds and such and this is definitely after I've had a HUGE lunch too. I just cannot NOT eat dinner which would be very easy for me to do sometimes. 

This is what I call my 'slacker' smoothie - because it's very simple to make...quick and easy...takes about 5 minutes to whip up, if not less. 
I ALWAYS use pineapple in my smoothies because I like the tangy sourness that it brings, especially since I don't add anything sweet.
Many people add milk/almond milk and the link into their smoothies but I prefer spring water...I can't have anything creamy-ish and am just not a fan of milk in general so it's water for me. 
Anyways...here it is!

Ingredients
1 big handful of organic baby spinach - maybe 2, washed
5 thick slices of cucumber - I leave the skin on {make sure you thorougly wash it if it is not organic - or in this case, peel the skin off}
1 teaspoon of MSM
1 heaping tablespoon of hemp hearts
1 handful of pineapple chunks {I use frozen so that my drink is cold}
1/2 cup of water {this honestly depends on your blender, I use a Nutribullet - so I fill it just above the max line - if you're using a blender, fill it so it's just over all your ingredients...you'll be able to tell by the consistency as well, if it's too thick to your liking, then add more water}

Blend it up!



  


Some tidbits on the 2 powerhouse ingredients I use.

MSM – Methylsulfonylmethane 
...is relatively new on the dietary supplement scene and is a sulfur that is found in our living tissues ~ it supports healthy connective tissues like muscles, ligaments and tendons so is often used for conditions such as muscle pains, arthritis, bursitis, etc. 

MSM is safe to use and can be found in foods such as meats, vegetables, fruits and milk and is the third largest ingredient found in your body next to water and salt! 

MSM is what gives cells their elasticity and is also needed for all metabolic functions – without proper levels of methylsulfonylmethane, the body can produce dysfunctional cells, allowing disease to set in. 
Other uses for MSM are: pain relief, diabetes, candida, migraines, parasites, arthritis, hair and nails – among others. 
I take it for my hair and nails. When I stopped eating like crap and cut out A LOT of things I was having some issues with hair loss – which you wouldn’t think because I wasn’t getting the nutrients I needed BEFOREHAND and now I am losing all this hair and getting brittle nails? What the heck? Anyways…I decided then to try MSM and have seen fabulous results!! My hair is *way* healthier then it was before and my nails are growing in loads better – not to mention the difference in skin as well. A lot clearer and healthier looking.


HEMP HEARTS

Why you should heart hemp as much as meeeee.

Hemp is a super-duper food in my pantry – but it gets a bad rap as it’s overshadowed by it’s stoner friend; marijuana…but this guy can’t get you high – it’s got microscopic amounts of THC and is only closely related. 
Hemp hearts are a complete protein and the edible parts of the inside of the hemp seed and contains the essential fatty acids, omega-6 and 3. They are chock-full of vitamins such as A, some Bs, E and D and are a good source of both soluble and insoluble fibre. 
Hemp hearts help with energy, appetite and weight – anyone’s ears would perk up after hearing that…hemp hearts have been shown to increase energy without the use of other stimulants like caffeine or sugar – they provide energy with less fillers.
One of the main reasons why I like hemp is that since it is high in fiber, it helps with your digestive system. Many people don’t pay attention to their digestion, which is super important for preventing a slew of future health problems. You gotta keep your bowel movements regular, people, and hemp hearts will help you do just that. 

And another bonus of hemp hearts is that it is a great source of magnesium, which has been shown to reduce muscle cramps and even headaches – magnesium in itself is involved in muscle relaxation {there are studies that show magnesium taken before bed allows for a more relaxed sleep}. 

So it’s not hemp hearts in itself, obviously! But all the minerals, vitamins, antioxidants and GOODNESS {I know that’s not a word} in them that help with a slew of health issues and just have you feeling overall…great! 
Hemp hearts are definitely a must in my book and are ALWAYS in my smoothies.


What do you put into your smoothies??

PS. If you are going to use this as a meal replacement then make sure to add some fats along with this, as I mentioned above, add some nuts and seeds so that your cal count isn't too low. This is also a great pick me up during your 3pm slug-bug hour. 



-S.*

No comments:

Post a Comment