Friday, October 24, 2014

::upgrade:apple:pie::

I am beginning to slowly get over my cold ~ although now I am being met with some wicked digestive issues that I just can't even deal with. Why does one thing have to be replaced with another?? :/ Just the worst tummy aches...ugh. 
Anyways! I really pushed it on Wednesday...was not feeling well at all and since I did that I was waaaay worse yesterday so decided to stay home from work. I spent the entire day in bed with the puppies or on the couch with them. I did manage to get my ass up to make some chicken barley soup which I think really did the trick in whipping me back into shape. ;) That and the hot toddy before bed. Hehe. 
I had a pretty good sleep and am back at it...and it's Friiiday!! :)
So I see on the news that we are to be met with some flurries on Saturday...what?! I guess this is Canada and November is around the corner...so I really shouldn't be surprised. This means that the boyfriend is going to be super busy at work too...which means super long days and early nights....non-existent life for two months...that's why weekends are the best to just relax and cuddlebug. 
I decided I am going to try my hand at baking. 
I hate baking. 
It's just not my thing.
Baking is a science, I feel like and cooking is a bit of an art. 
Whenever I have baked before it just doesn't always end up the way that I want it to. Not like my neighbor who is baker extraordinaire and we are his official taste-testers and do not complain! 
Anyways, I found a great looking recipe in one of the recent issues of Women's Health...which would be perfect for a flurry kind of day! :) 

 Bon Appetit!


Homemade Upgrade: Apple Pie
Women's Health November 2014 issue, page 104.

INGREDIENTS
4 tbsp almond butter
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup chopped almonds and walnuts
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
2 tsp cinnamon, divided
1 tbsp honey
1 Granny Smith apple
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
2 tsp lemon juice

PREP
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Place 1 tablespoon almond butter in each of four 6-ounce ramekins or custard cups. 
2. In a bowl, combine oats, nuts, coconut, 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon and honey. 
3. Wash, core and dice apple; in a separate bowl, mix apple with remaining cinnamon, other spices and lemon juice. 
4. Divide apple pieces among ramekins, them top with oat mixture. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. 


This is definitely something that I could try out and make, 100%. Not too much to it and sounds like it would taste absolutely delicious - maybe with some cool whip as well. ;) 
Let me know what you guys think of this recipe and what is your go-to cold day comfort dessert? 


-S.*

No comments:

Post a Comment