Thursday, December 11, 2014

::lemon:chicken:potato:casserole::


I never really knew what to think of casseroles - to be honest, I still don't. I feel like casseroles are for the Suzie-Homemaker type people...
I am sure that couldn't be farther from the truth. For some reason I don't trust food that you throw in one pot, pan, slowcooker, whatever and cook. Don't ask me why! Although I have done this before and meals have turned out FANTASTIC. So I need to do this more often and not be so wary of it. 
So when I saw this recipe, I knew that I must try it because it has potatoes in it! YUM. ;) 

I am not a big meat-eater either...I will eat chicken maybe once every two weeks or so...I also make sure that the chicken I get is organic, local and not pumped full of antibiotics. 
So if I do eat meat it's like this...chicken or turkey....
Never beef or pork anymore. It's not particularly healthy for you...and I choose not to eat it for ethical reasons.

So...let's get on with the recipe! I got it from none other then Gimme Some Oven
By the way...not sure if I mentioned this earlier or not but I tried the fried rice recipe - it was pretty good...nothing crazy...but still pretty delicious and at least I know what went into the rice and the ingredients I used were more than likely more fresh and healthier then what they put into the fried rice in restaurants. 
Let's hope this next recipe is a HIT. I was on a roll there a few weekends ago. 
 
Easy Lemon Chicken Potato Casserole
This delicious Lemon Chicken Potato Casserole is simple to make, and full of that classic creamy lemon flavor you love! 
PREP: 15 mins // COOK: 45 mins // TOTAL: 1 hour

INGREDIENTS
2.5 cups condensed cream of mushroom OR cream of chicken soup {the equivalent of 2 cans}
1/2 cup milk
1.5 lbs. Yukon gold potatoes, very thinly sliced {no thicker than 1/8"}
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small white onion, peeled and thinly sliced
1.5 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
salt and freshly-ground black pepper
1 lemon, thinly sliced and halved {into half coins}
optional garnish: chopped fresh parsley or fresh thyme

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. 

Add condensed soup and milk to a saucepan and whisk to combine. Heat over medium-high heat until simmering, stirring frequently. When it reaches a simmer, remove from heat and set aside. 

Meanwhile, in a separate large mixing bowl, add potatoes, onion, garlic, and chicken. Pour in the condensed soup mixture, along with a generous pinch of salt and pepper, and gently toss to combine until the potato and chicken mixture is evenly coated. 

Transfer mixture to a 9x13 baking dish. Tuck lemon wedges into the mixture randomly. Then cover the top of the pan with aluminum foil. 

Bake for 1 hour or until the potatoes are tender. Carefully remove the foil, and change oven to the high "broil" setting. Broil the casserole for an extra 2-3 minutes to crisp up the top, watching very carefully so that it does not burn. 

Remove pan from oven and serve warm. 


Pretty darn simple, ain't it? Not much to it...so definitely will try this it out this weekend and let you all know how it turns out. I think I won't add too much lemon {as Travis isn't a fan} and will try with the cream of mushroom to see if it adds a bit more flavour. :)


-S.*

No comments:

Post a Comment